Saturday, August 28, 2010

Still Not Totally Back


Yes indeed we're back (sort of) and two weeks into "normal" life already! It's definitely strange not to be looking forward to Malawi as I was for so long. And I feel different. It's like I'm hovering over my life and just observing. It's not that things don't feel real, it's more that they seem to hit me less hard, from a distance (through a tunnel?). It's almost like I'm still half-way in Malawi imagining what the day would be like there.

In any event, I feel more at peace. I saw a lot of sad things, I saw a lot of happy things. I got to farm and hang out with kids! I got to make new friends and reflect on life and God. I saw elepants, warthogs, hippos and crocodiles. I got to sing songs in Chichewa with the locals (I tried!). And I was blessed to have the unforgettable experience of meeting my WorldVision sponsor children (worldvision.org if you are interested) - the highlight of my trip.

I'm still in the process of digesting everything. In the meantime, here are my answers to some questions curious minds have asked me:

1) It was actually really nice weather for most of the trip since it's winter in Malawi right now. It did get very cold (for my SoCal bones) toward the end of the trip.
2) We ate well. Too well actually. I was counting on losing 5 lbs! And no, I did not try "mice on a stick" (though I do appreciate that it's a salty snack).
3) Malawi gained its independence from the UK in 1964 and is now a multiparty democracy. Yes, the US does have an embassy there.
4) The bathroom situation where we stayed was just fine (like Girl Scouot camp). The bathroom situation "out and about" was fine too, as long as you don't mind nature (I don't) or a hole in the ground (good enough).
5) Yes, I did get sick. Not too sick though and it only lasted 24 hours. Many of us got sick, but we're fine now!
6) Yes, I would go back. I can definitely see why people fall in LOVE with Malawi. The vitality of the place is so enticing!

That's it for now. Thanks for reading!

0 comments:

Post a Comment